Wednesday, November 2, 2011

MEET SHANNON MUNLEY

Shannon Munley, who is featured in Ibsen's "A Doll's House" as Mrs. Linde, returns to the Beautiful Soup stage after starring in The WSXR Players Present Their June 7, 1944 Broadcast of William Shakespeare's TWELFTH NIGHT, or What You Will as Ruthie Mitchell (Feste the Clown). Shannon sang her heart out in that one, but will take to our stage in a completely different way this January. Learn more about her before her turn as Mrs. Lynne by reading her interview with us...

With hundreds of casting calls a week in this city, what attracted you to this project?
I've worked with BSTC previously, so casting notices from them always catch my eye first.  I've also been looking to get involved with more classic plays lately, and with Kymberly Tuttle in the leading role, how could I not audition!?

What do you hope audience members come away with after seeing the show?
Ideally, I would want the audience to remember a time when women were held in such low regard in this world that they were little more  than trinkets in their fathers' or husbands' home.  We haven't even had the right to vote for 100 years yet!  A glass ceiling still exists, and people still find it suprising when a beautiful woman would prefer a Doctorate to a diamond.  Ibsen wrote a wonderfully bold heroine, and I hope the audience is inspired by her chutzbah!

Who or what inspired you to go into theatre?
I've had that fire in my belly for as long as I can remember, but one event turned a dream into a career path:  My aunts took me to see Annie Get Your Gun with none other than Bernadette Peters in the title role.  During the second act, my aunt said to me, "You know, that kind of looks like you up there."  "I could do that?" I asked.  "Of course you could." she replied, without a moment's hesitation.  I haven't questioned it since.

What's your dream role?
Ariel, in The Little Mermaid.  It's something I'd never be cast as, but that's what dreams are for!

Who is your hero and why?
Everyone will say this, but it's the truth.  My Mom is my hero.  From her I learned what hard work was, and that anything less than my absolute, 100% best was beneath me.  She showed me how to follow my heart while keeping both feet planted firmly on the ground.  She's been my example of how to love and how to live.  I think that about sums it up!

What's the greatest experience you've had on stage?
Anytime you can so connect to the audience that they feel what you are feeling, whether its to make them laugh or cry, is the most wonderful thing in the world.  To have them honestly feel they've journeyed with you in a world that only exists for two hours is the greatest thing we can hope for!

Who is the one person you haven't worked with that you would like to?
I can't name just one name...truthfully, I love working with new people because there is always something new to learn.  I love working with people who know more than I do or have more experience than I do so I can learn everything I can from them!  This craft is all about give and take, and I'm happy to teach and to learn!

What's your favorite musical/play and why?
The King and I.  Everytime it's on TV I can't turn it off!  The music is beautiful and I always admire Anna's bravery and tenderness.  It's one of the first musicals I ever saw onstage, and my mother and I sang the music for weeks after.

What's your favorite ice cream?
Mint Chocolate Chip!

Nora or a Torvald?
Definitely a Nora!!

No comments:

Post a Comment