Tuesday, November 1, 2011

MEET MALLORY BERLIN

Mallory Berlin, who stars in A Doll's Life, the musical as Nora, returns to The Beautiful Soup stage after playing a Weird Sister in Macbeth. You can catch a glimpse of Mallory and learn more about here before you see her on stage in January...


With hundreds of casting calls a week in this city, what attracted you to this project?
Well, it's nicer than Madame Hedwigs...

What do you hope audience members come away with after seeing the show?
When someone closes a door, another one opens. While "A Doll's Life" explores many themes (chiefly woman's liberation, conquering fears, etc.), the most important lesson to learn from Nora is that life goes on. One bad experience does not a life make - and the future is what YOU make it to be.

Who or what inspired you to go into theatre? 
I love being a chameleon and exploring different characters and thoughts. Theatre has enabled me to get inside the heads of so many people and challenge myself in ways I never could in a normal, run-of-the-mill job!

What's your dream role? 
It changes every day! Right now it's the title role in Shaw's "Candida". But a normal answer would be A) Any female Edward Albee roles or B) Any Sondheim roles - but most specifically Anne in "A Little Night Music"....for now.

Who is your hero and why?
It sounds so cliche, but my father.  Without him, I wouldn't be the person I am today. He's supported me through good times and bad, and even when life doesn't go the way we've planned it to - he still spins a positive outlook on things! I aspire to be just like that!

What's the greatest experience you've had on stage?
So difficult to choose!!! It's a tie between the title role of Ravel's "L'enfant et les sortileges" and the Queen of Hearts in Beautiful Soup's ALICE. In "L'enfant" I played an angry little boy who smashes everything to pieces :P But ALICE had a hoop skirt, a ridiculous wig and a crazy french accent. Decisions, decisions...

Who is the one person you haven't worked with that you would like to?
Stephen Sondheim. I can dream
 
What's your favorite musical/play and why?
Without a doubt "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" by Edward Albee. It was the first play I read that introduced me to absurdism, asked deep questions and had you evaluate yourself in a new light. Edward Albee is a GOD.

What's your favorite ice cream?
Cookies and cream! I'm a dork.

Nora or a Torvald? 
I prefer the salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment