Monday, November 7, 2011

MEET DANIEL MIAN

Daniel Mian takes to the Beautiful Soup stage for the first time this January as Nils Krogstad in Ibsen's A Doll's House. Learn more about Daniel in our interview with him below...

With hundreds of casting calls a week in this city, what attracted you to this project? There are certain shows I’ve always felt, if you get an opportunity to  work on this, you do it. A Doll’s House certainly fills that criteria. The history behind this show, what it did for theater, I could go on and on. I was lucky enough to do this show in college, and the fact that the ending climax drew multiple gasps from the audience shows how powerful this show still is, even with modern audiences.

What do you hope audience members come away with after seeing the show? I believe the point of this show is not about feminism but about individualism. Certainly the show takes a strong like at a woman’s position in this world, but I hope it gets people to think about what their roles are in all areas- in their family, their place of work, society etc. And most of all, figure out who we are as individuals, and if we are truly the people we want to be or what others want us to be.

Who or what inspired you to go into theatre? I love making people laugh. I have since I was a wee little Dan.  But also, from other jobs I’ve had non theater, I realize I grow bored quite easily with the same routine. Theater just allows me to play. And for some reason I can be braver on stage than I can in real life. 

What's your dream role? Iago or Pseudolus 

Who is your hero and why? Gary Oldman. The man is a genius, a total chameleon. He can play anything and is ridiculously undervalued and underappreciated as an actor.

What's the greatest experience you've had on stage?A production of Midsummer in the park. We performed at night, using candles and the moon as lighting. The cast was amazing, and closing night, after curtain call, our Lysander proposed to his gf, who happened to be playing Hermia. Twas magical I say.

Who is the one person you haven't worked with that you would like to? Gyeong Kim

What's your favorite musical/play and why? Goes along with question 4 but favorite play would have to be Othello. It’s a story told mainly from the perspective of a sociopath and its absolutely fascinating. Favorite musical is A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I probably have the movie memorized, and Zero Mostel is hilarious.

What's your favorite ice cream? Ben and Jerry’s Late Night Snack. Sweet and Salty together?! Stop it! Just stop it!

Nora or a Torvald? Who do I pick? Who am I? Does anyone say they're like Torvald?

No comments:

Post a Comment