Thursday, November 10, 2011

MEET PATRICK PIZZOLORUSSO

Meet Patrick, who plays Nora's misguided husband Torvald Helmer in Ibsen's classic play A DOLL'S HOUSE. Learn more about him in our interview below:

With hundreds of casting calls a week in this city, what attracted you to this project? I am always attracted to the classics.  My training was rooted in classical theater so that is where my interest naturally lies.  That being said, we live in NYC and the majority of the classic pieces you see performed or auditions advertised for are Shakespeare.  (Not that there is anything wrong with that, I love Shakespeare) When I see a chance to audition for a classic piece that is not Shakespeare, I jump at it.

What do you hope audience members come away with after seeing the show? 
I think mostly I'd like them to come away with the idea that Torvald wasn't a bad guy.  I feel that most people look at him as this horrible person. But he was simply living under a certain society's beliefs and strictures.  He felt certain things were right because that's what he was told. It's all he knew. 

Who or what inspired you to go into theatre? 
I'd have to say it was a joint effort from my family.  All members of my family are artists in their own right.  Be it designing houses, restoring classic cars, or painting, everyone has their own artistic outlet.  I was encouraged to find mine and I did.  Little did we know that it would be this all encompassing career.

What's your dream role? Honestly there are too many. Prince Hal and Puck I think would be my absolute dreams on stage.  In film? Give me a role in an epic sci-fi series or movie.  

Who is your hero and why?  Gene Kelley.  I mean he sang in the rain and danced with Jerry Mouse.  What more could you want?  He just made everything look so effortless and cool on screen.  

What's the greatest experience you've had on stage? The very first time I cried on stage as a character.  It was a moment where I connected with the character, the audience, and realized the dire circumstances surrounding the character's life.  I cried.  I immediately said to myself, "what the fuck is happening?" And...immediately brought myself out of the moment.  But I learned a lot that night on that little stage.

Who is the one person you haven't worked with that you would like to? haha..Patrick Stewart.

What's your favorite musical/play and why? 
Andre Gregory's Alice.  I performed in this with a handful of very close friends, directed by my friend/mentor and I think I learned the most from theater by working on this piece. (And it's one of my favorite stories)

What's your favorite ice cream? Anything with bits of peanut butter in it.  

Nora or a Torvald? Tovald!  (I think I have to say that)

No comments:

Post a Comment